Why is a dual licensed Attorney – Certified Public Accountant the perfect fit for your tax problem? An attorney or tax attorney has the full attorney-client privilege under the law. However, a CPA’s privilege does not extend to IRS criminal matters. As such, if your tax problem is investigated by the IRS criminal division for tax fraud or something else, your CPA could be subpoenaed to testify against you! On the other hand, lawyers typically lack the rudimentary education and math skills in tax and accounting required to have a deep understanding of your tax-law case. Non-CPA attorneys typically hand off the heavy lifting of tax preparation to CPA’s. Tax preparation, either a deep understanding of it or the time-tested ability to perform it, is key to being a forceful attorney in this highly specialized area of law. A dual licensed Attorney -CPA is a rare breed and is best suited to handle tax law cases.
We are a full service tax law firm. We have an intense focus on taxation. If you want the very best, you have come to the right place.
Over the years we have developed a number of specialties including representation of non-compliant taxpayers and bringing those taxpayers into compliance by preparing old unfiled tax returns along with interfacing with the Internal Revenue Service.
- Unfiled Tax Returns: Unfiled Tax Returns Information. This is one of our specialties. We represent you before the IRS and actually prepare your
returns. Click for more information.
- IRS audits:IRS Audit Information. We handle ‘eggshell’ audits and other audits including correspondence, and sales tax.
- IRS Defense: we represent taxpayers during IRS collection matters such as IRS Liens, Levies, and Seizures.
- Complex Estate & Gift Taxation, planning, and drafting.
- Offers in Compromise & Penalty Abatement.
- A great starting point is having us do a Tax Compliance Checkup to ferret out tax compliance problems you might not be aware of.
- Tax litigation: tax disputes at the federal and state level.
- Business Services
S.A.L.T. (State and Local Tax):
- Colorado Department of Revenue audits and issues
- Colorado Department of Labor and Employment Audits
- Local tax issues – Denver Head Tax
- Sales Tax audits and compliance
Tax Consultation including:
- Divorce Tax Planning for high net worth marital estates
- Services for Real Estate Investors
- Business Transactions: Sale / Purchase, Mergers /Acquisitions – Sole proprietorships, Partnerships, C Corporations and S Corporations: Tax Aspects including: adjusted basis / capital gain or loss / ordinary income
- Wills, Trusts, and Estate Planning. We draft complete estate plans including trusts, wills, personal property memorandum, medical power of attorney, durable power of attorney and living will. We also provide tax advice in the estate context such as Income in Respect of Decedent, estate tax, gift tax, bump-up in basis, and portability.
- Services for Small Business.
- LLC’s for holding Commercial Real Estate
- Corporate: Formation and Taxation
- What Makes Us Different
In addition, we have developed a specialty with matters dealing with offshore bank accounts such as the Streamlined Domestic Offshore Voluntary Disclosure Program and the Offshore Voluntary Disclosure Program.
We provide taxpayers representation in the following areas:
- OVDP / OVDI / Streamlined (click here). We specialize in Offshore Voluntary Disclosure and the Streamlined Domestic Offshore Program. We have worked as OVDP for many other clients.
- We launched an FBAR filing service to keep taxpayers with foreign “accounts” compliant.
- We represent taxpayers entering the 2012 Offshore Voluntary Disclosure Initiative Program (OVDP) – Now called 2014 OVDP. These programs fix the unfiled FBAR problem and usually implicate criminal intent.
- See our post on June 18th, 2014 on the reduction of OVDP penalty to 5% dubbed 2014 OVDP here: Breaking News: IRS Changes to the Offshore Voluntary Disclosure Program (OVDP).
- Our recent post on “Willful” Failure to Disclose Foreign Accounts on October 12, 2014.
- We have handled disclosures from around the world including but not limited to: Swiss (Switzerland) Bank Accounts, Cayman Islands, Channel Islands, and European Union.
The art of the practice of Tax Law was endorsed in 1934 by Judge Learned Hand and can be summarized as follows: There is No Patriotic Duty to Pay More Tax than What is the Least Payable Under the U.S. Tax Code.